Sunday, August 5, 2018

Checkout

I don't like the self service checkout. I usually run into a problem with more than one item. I prefer the cashier. It's nice to have the human interaction. It's good to say 'Hello' and 'Thank You' to another hardworking human being providing an excellent service.

Plus, if I've got five to ten items, the cashier usually rings it up faster than I ever could at the self service checkout. And it's nice to have someone bag your groceries and offer to carry them to your car, even if you prefer to do that yourself.

But since I had only one item to buy, and I was much closer to the single self service checkout than the cashiers on the far end of the store, I opted to use the self service checkout, especially since there was only one person standing there. Meanwhile, the cashier lines were long with shoppers pushing full carts.

At the self service checkout, I stood a respectable distance behind the lady wearing mirrored sunglasses and a trendy summer outfit and a large hat. All designer labels, all expensive, all for show. I waited for her to finish her single purchase. And waited. And waited. Two other shoppers with a few items had formed a line behind me. Still, that lady wasn't making a move. After five minutes, I asked the lady if she needed help.

She huffed, "That fellow over there told me that I could pay for my item here. But he hasn't come here yet!"

I looked to see where she was pointing at. A young fellow was busy serving customers at the bakery counter. I didn't understand why she needed him, unless she couldn't figure out how to use the self checkout.

So I told her, "If you'd like, I can help you scan your item."

To which she indignantly replied, "Scan what? There's nothing to scan!"

I paused, then said, "If you'd like, I can show you where to scan."

She was still for a moment. Then she handed me her item. I took the handheld scanner and scanned the barcode under the item. Then I directed her to use the card reader to pay for her item using her credit card. She grumbled the whole time as she paid for her item. Then she got even more flustered when I showed her where the bags were to bag her item.

She bagged her item and harped, "I can't believe that we have to ring up and bag our own purchases! What kind of service is that?"

To which I replied, "It's the self service kind, ma'am. This is the self service checkout."

Her head snapped up quick and she asked disbelievingly, "This is the self service checkout?!"

I pointed to the large lighted sign just above our heads that stated: Self Service Checkout.

The lady sputtered, "Well, how are we suppose to see that when it's so dark in here! It's hard to see anything in this darkness!"

I replied, "I totally agree, ma'am. I also have trouble seeing indoors with my sunglasses on."

She exclaimed, "Is that why it's so dark in here?" She touched her shades, then her faced turned red, and she stomped off as I scanned my item and the two shoppers behind me were guffawing.

12 comments:

  1. Hah ha ha haa! Priceless (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDV, It was hilarious to see how indignant and offended she was to have to bag her own purchase in the clearly marked Self Service Checkout.

      Delete
  2. I never trust anyone who wears sunglasses inside from personal experience. You are a gentleman because I would have be cussin up a blue streak. (In my mind, of course!) ;) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, I think she was trying too hard to look cool with her sunglasses indoors, but she ended up looking silly and made a donkey of herself!

      I was keeping on my professional face, the one I have perfected at work from years of dealing with lots of silly, ignorant, and ridiculous clients (and a few whiny coworkers)!

      Delete
  3. I actively avoid self-service checkouts. I like the whole-people-interaction thing.

    How ever did you manage to keep a straight face? Honestly, your self-control is something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hello, Rose! Love the new look!

      I totally agree with you that interacting with people makes for a much more pleasant shopping experience than dealing with a cantankerous machine.

      Inside, I was laughing out loud. But years of practice keeping on a professional, calm, demeanor when dealing with not so smart, ridiculously ignorant (and sometimes racist and just dumb) clients and other coworkers and people has made me an expert at handling crisis and stupid, silly situations.

      Afterwards, I have a good laugh!

      Delete
  4. HA!

    PS: According to "a friend," avoid the self-checkout at Lowe's home improvement store if you have a lightweight item, i.e. a pack of tiny washers. The machine weighs the scanned items on the bag platform. The lightweight items almost always never register with the machine and the area attendant must manually intervene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, Thanks for the tip!

      It is inconvenient when the self checkout scale doesn't work right! I bought some T-shirts that were on clearance, but they were too light for the machine to weigh. After several minutes of the machine yelling at me to "Place item on the scale," (and people giving me sideway glances like I was either stupid or a thief), the attendant had to come over and override and scan ten t-shirts!

      I'd've saved myself some time and trouble (and shady looks) if I had just gone to the cashier line.

      Delete
  5. I also avoid the self service checkouts unless the regular, 'manned' tills have huge lineups and I am in hurry.

    You were more than diplomatic with that woman. The epitome of white privilege! (I am assuming she was white...) I probably would have told her that she would be better able to make appropriate decisions if she took her shades off while indoors. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ponita, Yup. I definitely avoid the self checkout unless there're long lines at the cashiers and I'm in a hurry.

      You guessed right! She was white and I suspect from the ritzy (or trying to pass as from the ritzy) part of town. The grocery store is right at the border between the private, rich estates and the middle class suburbs. I usually don't shop there, but it was on my way from work and I needed a single item.

      But yeah, it was just funny how furious she was at having to bag her own item and blaming the poor bakery kid and store for poor service and terrible lighting, when it was all her own doing.

      Delete
  6. Was it possible she may have just had a wedgie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, I think she had a brain fart, and all the common sense leaked out of her head.

      The level of indignation and outrage she dramatically displayed at ringing up and bagging her single item by herself at the self checkout was hilarious!

      Delete