Monday, August 20, 2018

Scent

This post was inspired by a recent Delores Delargo Towers post on Coco Chanel. It stirred up a long forgotten memory.

Once, I was part of a historical Civil War reenactment. I was with the Southern army--Spoiler Alert: We lost. The North wins. Slaves are freed. Yay! Part of my job on guard duty was to challenge individuals coming into the camp.

The second night, I had three people approach. The first was the Company Commander. I challenged him, he gave the password, and I let him enter. The second was the Sergeant Major. I challenged him, but he gave me the wrong password--off by a few letters. I had him arrested. He was pissed off, but since he couldn't remember the right password, I had him booked. Even though I knew who he was, I still summoned the camp General to verify the identity of the Sgt Major before I let him go. He could've been a spy!

A third person approached. I waved them in. That set the Sgt Major off, who demanded why in the hell didn't I challenge that person. I replied, "It's Ms J***, one of the cooks."

The General asked, "How did you know it was her in the dark?"

I said, "Because I recognize her strut, and I can smell her perfume. She's the only one in the camp who wears Chanel No 5."

The General and my squad laughed heartily. Ms J*** gave me a resplendent smile as she sashayed away to her tent. The Sgt Major was in charge of assignments. I'm guessing he was still ticked off at me, as I was assigned to kitchen duty for the next five days--peeling potatoes and washing pots and pans.

I didn't mind. I liked kitchen duty. I worked in the shade while everyone else was sweating, burning, and exhausted from the blazing sun and humid conditions. They got filthy crawling in dirt and hauling heavy cannons and artillery, while I was able to stay clean and swim in the creek during my break.

Plus, I got to eat before everyone else, and I had lots of free time in between meals and after my work was done. There's a lot of waiting and downtime in wars, even reenacted ones. And I got to spend that time with the ravishing Ms J*** and her intoxicating scent, enjoying her company, making her laugh, and getting to know her better. We found fun ways to spend all that free time. And when my five days of kitchen duty were over, I smelled like Chanel No 5. War is hell, even the reenacted ones. Makes people do all sorts of crazy things--and if you're lucky, they're really fun things!

I still love Chanel No 5 to this day. It still brings a smile to my face, and it makes me think of all the gorgeous women I've known who wore this scintillating scent. It is a most enchanting and elegant fragrance!

12 comments:

  1. My dear aunt only ever wears Chanel N5 or Miss Dior. I smell both and think of her. When you can recognize a scent, you know it's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, So true. It's amazing how scents are intrinsic to our memories, especially the really good ones. Certain scents do remind us of people and places.

      I've always found that really classy and elegant women wear Chanel No 5, and they wear it well.

      Delete
  2. "he was still ticked off at me, as I was assigned to kitchen duty"

    Very authentic! Just like the real mid-level vindictive petty tyrants in the military, according to "a friend."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, He was vindictive, but I enjoyed kitchen duty! I had a more pleasant experience with great company!

      Delete
  3. *Sigh* I guess I'm not classy or elegant. That stuff smells like Raid on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles!, Welcome! You don't need Chanel No 5 to make you classy or elegant. Besides, you are resplendent and vivacious! The life of the party!

      Different perfumes do interact differently with our individual chemistry. I had a friend convince me to try Joop, because she loved the scent. I tried it, didn't like it, because I ended up smelling like old, musty restroom potpourri. A urinal cake smelled nicer! So no Joop for me.


      Delete
    2. Joop, ICK! I think my son used that crap for many years as Mommy repellant! Didn't work. I held my breath and hugged him anyway :) You're right, urinal cakes do smell better.

      Delete
    3. Ha! Ha! Joop is definitely a no for me!

      I love your pool float pic! Awesome way to stay cool, and it says summer fun!

      It's funny how we all react to scents. I like Old Spice, because it reminds me of my dad--his scent. I just can't bring myself to try some on. But I do use the Old Spice deodorants.

      Delete
    4. I love Old Spice! Balder Half will use this even though he doesn't generally wear cologne. I do like a sweet or spicey smell. Paul Sebastian for special occasions because I'm still sort of using my arms and legs and I don't want to use them as payment for something BH only wears for me. Funny, as kids we used to get my father a bottle of Old Spice every Father's Day. Good memories, huh?

      Delete
    5. Deedles, Old Spice is a classic! Definitely a signature masculine scent. It's a fragrance you don't forget. A great, charming, and cool scent that makes you take notice!

      Out of all us boys, only one brother--one just a year older than me--wears Old Spice. He says it smells great and it reminds him of Dad. I agree. It does remind me of Dad, which is why I don't wear it, because it would make me both happy and sad to think of him and remember that he is gone. On my brother, it fits him, because he is a big guy who just exudes rough and tough confidence.

      Delete
  4. I'm the same as Deedles - Chanel No.5 does not suit me, and I so want to love it.
    Sx

    P.S You're such a naughty man, Mr Swings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, Fragrances are such an individual thing. I remember trying on some Calvin Klein Eternity, after hearing rave reviews. Totally did not suit me, didn't like it one bit. Same with Chrome. A lot of my guy friends love it, but I smelled like a cheap car air freshener --Not the good pine wood or new car smell kind, but the really awful, too saccharine and too ripe kind.

      Most guys who ask me for cologne recommendations, I offer two that have always worked for me:

      1. Cool Water
      2. CK One

      Delete