Thursday, October 25, 2018

Good Help

It's been raining these past few days. And it was gray and sprinkling when I got out of work early. I headed over to a friend's workplace, to wait a few minutes before heading out to meet the others for happy hour. A little rain won't damper our parade.

As I waited, I began talking to some of my friend's workers. They were young college students, part time workers, earning money to pay bills and tuition. They were industrious and mindful of their work. My friend says they're good help, which is rare to find in people their age. And they were friendly, upbeat, and very social. I quite enjoyed talking and laughing with them.

Then radio began playing Lady Gaga's Poker Face.



Imagine my surprise when I heard one of them exclaim, "I love this old song!"

I was like, 'Old? Poker Face is not old!'

Then I heard another exclaim, "Yeah, I was in the fifth grade when this came out."

I started doing the math. This song was only ten years old. Then I realized. Holy crap! That's half these kids lives! And then suddenly, I felt old.

I felt even older when we started discussing favorite singers. They love Lady Gaga, of course, Ariana Grande, and believe Beyoncé as the best entertainers ever. They think Britney Spears is old school!

When they asked me for my fave female entertainers I named Tina Turner, Madonna, Cher, and Whitney Houston as some of my faves. They nodded, signaling that they knew who these musicians were. But when I also mentioned Janet Jackson, I got blank stares.

And when one of them asked, "Who is Janet Jackson?"

I about had a heart attack! Who is Janet Jackson!?! Who is JANET JACKSON!?!?!?! And they looked serious, too. They didn't know who Janet Jackson is!

I prayed, 'Tallulah Bankhead, Grant me your strength as I bitch slap some knowledge into these ignorant fools!'*

But before I could school these ignoramuses on who Janet Jackson is--Miss Jackson, if you're nasty!--it was time to clock out, and they escaped before I could act.

I told my friend about the conversation and how it made me feel old all of a sudden. He laughed and said, "We may be old, but we're old enough to have a drink!"

And that lifted up my spirits and we joined our other friends for happy hour. And after a few drinks and with good company, I forgot all about feeling old and laughed the night away.


*A maid took Tallulah Bankhead to court, claiming the actress had smacked her around, because the maid failed to roll a joint properly. When asked by reporters to comment, Tallulah Bankhead said, "Good help is hard to find."

16 comments:

  1. If you go to the youtube and type in Christopher Walken Poker Face, you will find a video called "Lady Gaga's Poker Face read by Christopher Walken - Friday Night with Jonathan Ross - BBC One"

    There is life before watching that video and life after it, and the two do not resemble each other. :) I was no longer a fan of the Pokerface song for a while there because I had heard it a few too many times, but this put me right back into loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Snoskred!

      Thanks for the tip about Christopher Walken. He is one of my fave actors!

      My fave rendition of Poker Face is the one done by Southpark, from the Whale Whores episode!

      Delete
  2. Remember my Top Ten list recently? There's a reason I didn't put the release date of those albums! ;) LOL I love lady gaga, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, I forget sometimes just fast time flies! And then a young person addresses me as "Sir," and it takes me a few seconds to realize, they're talking to me!

      Good music is timeless! Maybe that's why we forget how long it's been since a song first played on the airwaves.

      Delete
  3. I shall sit quietly in a corner with LX until all this modern nonsense is over...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinahmow, At work, half the time, I don't get who my younger coworkers are talking about. And the other half, I can't believe the awful stuff they listen to is popular music!

      Delete
    2. Well, I'm about to roll out Ten Albums so all the OAPs can pop over to my place and take their zimmerframes onto the floor...

      Delete
    3. Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  4. I really feel your pain, Mr Swings! There is an upside, not only can you drink, but you will also find yourself on the winning team if you take part in a music quiz.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, So true! Tonight, I won a bar prize ($20 and a pitcher of beer) for correctly answering that Michal Jackson was a Jehovah's Witness!

      Delete
  5. Can you blame Tallulah Bankhead? I agree. You should have told those kids, in the words of Tallulah- "Thank God for alcohol...it makes you all more tolerable." Then they would have been like who? You know Tallulah, from back when the wheel was invented…….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, Ha! I'd've been like Tallulah, who liked to do cartwheels in her dress without any underpants!

      Delete
  6. Talk about feeling old, about 36 years ago when I was a mere 26, I mentioned Aretha Franklyn to a 15 year old girl. She looked totally dumbfounded (you can chop off the founded part) and asked "Who?". *Sigh* I felt like I had cobwebs and dust all over my old body. I'm now the crypt keeper! I am right this minute chilling out to the smooth song stylings of Andy Williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles, Ha! It's flabbergasting how ignorant younger generations are about icons in music. When I was shuffling paperwork and singing out "Mama-say mama-sah ma-ma-coo-sah", several of my coworkers were like, "Hey, you're singing Rihanna."

      When I said, "Nope. Michael Jackson."

      Blank stares.

      I continued, "Wanna Be Startin Somethin, from the Thriller album?"

      Blanks stares replaced by confused looks. I gave up.

      I love Andy Williams!

      Happy Halloween!

      Delete