Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Nightwing

This is Nightwing, one of the few strays that I feed. He's the youngest of the bunch.


At night, his coat glimmers like black velvet, and his mackerel stripes shimmer as he struts in the starlight. He hisses sometimes, but he approaches eagerly everytime I come home. He knows that I am going to get him fresh, cool, clean water and new, delicious cat food in a washed bowl.


He usually hangs out with Storm Shadow, an older cat. But when I returned from the grocery store in the evening, I was surprised to see Nightwing chilling on my porch. He usually only comes around midnight. Even more surprising, he was chilling out with Black Panther, a young all black cat with green eyes just a few months older than Nightwing.

Black Panther belongs to the Vet and his wife. When they were both in the hospital last week, one of the neighbors watched him. Usually, Black Panther likes to climb the oak tree in front and chase squirrels and birds.

But today, he preferred my porch and the company of Nightwing, which is amazing as they usually get into a hissing and yowling match half the time. The other times, I've seen them play. Today is the first time I've seen them just sleeping on my porch with the sun still up for another hour or so. Most unusual, since they only visit at night. Today was the first time that I've seen them together with the sun still up.

Black Panther is camera shy, as he kept moving out of sight whenever I tried to take his picture. I wonder if he's in some kind of witnesses protection program. Or a Most Wanted Poster somewhere. I gave up trying to take his picture and left him and Nightwing to eat an evening snack.

Storm Shadow isn't camera shy. But he only comes out in the dark night, at least for now. So any pictures of him I try to take come out all shadows and fuzzy. But I'll keep trying take photos of him and Black Panther.

In the meantime, I'm just happy to see my cats eat and drink and enjoy the sanctuary of my porch. I smile everytime I see them.



I hope they live long, happy, healthy lives, and I hope there are other kind people looking out for them.

P.S. Yes, that's soapy water on the floor in the picture. I pour a bucket of soapy water on my porch almost daily, to wash and keep away the ants and other critters attracted to the food I place out for the cats. It works, and my porch is spiffy and clean. As an unintended consequence, any few leftover bits of food, just a few morsels in the bowl, are usually all eaten by large black birds. I don't think they're crows, as they seem to have this iridescent purple plumage that glints in the sun. I'll try to photograph them too sometime.

Update 6 September 2018, Thursday:

Before I left for work this morning, I was surprised to find Nightwing and Storm Shadow waiting on my porch. Most unusual, as they usually only visit at night. But I think the predawn thunderstorm may have made them seek shelter and stay warm and dry on my covered porch. Also, they probably guessed that I would feed them if I saw them. They were right. I washed the bowls and replenished the food and water. I washed the porch before setting down the food and water. They ate contently, and I could only snap a few fotos before heading off to work.





When I got back home this evening, they were waiting for me. So I grabbed the bowls, washed them, and washed the porch. But while I was replenishing the cleaned bowls with food and water, I was surprised to find both cats just inside my place, waiting for me at the entrance. This is the first time that they've ever followed me indoors. Usually, they wait out on the porch. But tonight, they followed me just inside the door. They're getting comfortable with me, trusting me more, and that makes me happy.

12 comments:

  1. They let you close enough to see whether they're male or female? Growing up, we ended up with a lot of litters because my baby sister always said the strays were male. She was the only one who could tell, and she lied.
    Pretty cat. You keep up the good work, Eros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles, Ha! Your sister is wily!

      These strays are males. But there are two females I've noticed who come around a few times. But I suspect they are someone's pet. So, chances are good they are fixed.

      But I do love feeding them all. It's become part of my shopping routine to look for great deals on pet food!

      Delete
  2. Nice cat pix! Nightwing has a nice healthy and alert look to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, He is growing up fast! Just last month, he was a scrawny little cat, just a little bit older than a kitten. He was cautious, hissed at me a lot, but at the same time, followed me eagerly and ate the food I gave him. Today was the first day he didn't hiss at me. Instead, he followed me just inside the door, waiting as I washed the bowls, then replenished the food and water.

      Delete
  3. Nightwing looks good! And those birds might be grackles. Do they have long tails? Do get some photos of the birds. I'd like to see if they are the same as the grackles we get up here (only in summer, as they are migratory). Good luck with the nocturnal kitty photos! And thank you for caring for these feline friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ponita, Thank you for telling me about grackles. They are grackles! I looked them up on the internet and they seem most similar to grackles. I'm going to try to take fotos the next time I see them.

      Nightwing is becoming more and more friendly with me. I'm happy he seems to be comfortable with me.

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures! I miss having cats, but asthma precludes that indulgence. I do enjoy seeing all of them from afar via my friends blogs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, Aw, I'm sorry you can't have cats. But you do what you have to do to be healthy. And it is nice to see cats on other people's blogs! The internet was made for cat pics!

      Taking care of these strays makes me smile everyday. They're the closest I have to owning pets! And they're fantastic!

      Delete
  5. I was going to suggest grackles;Ponita got in first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinahmow, I have never seen these kind of birds before moving here. Thank you and Ponita for helping me identify them. Now I just need to photograph them. They are very fast and fly away, everytime I try to photograph them. But I'll keep trying!

      Delete
  6. Uh, oh. They're on to you! Ganging up on you for food, and now shelter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDV, I'm hoping they'll feel safe enough to trust me, so when a hurricane comes, they know to seek shelter in my place.

      Delete