Sunday, September 16, 2018

Black Panther

I went shopping for some storm and flood essentials--potato chips, cookies, marshmallows for rice krispy treats. When I returned home, I was surprised to see Black Panther chilling on my windowsill. There was a lull in the heavy rainstorms that had poured hard all morning. Now it was a light drizzle. It was the perfect time to snap some quick shots while he was resting. He usually avoids the camera, like a fugitive on the run. Every time I try to take his picture, he walks away, and I'm left with a blurry mess. And it was just as hard trying to take fotos of him this time.

But I got a few, far away shots of the elusive character.




Black panther is a most unique and fascinating cat. First of all, he isn't a stray. He is my upstairs neighbors, the Vet and his wife's pet cat. Though, he was actually born a stray, right under the hood of my car while I was gone for a few weeks! Imagine my surprise when I come home in a taxi and am greeted by my neighbors, telling me about kittens nesting in my car engine!

Well, first thing I did was pop the hood. There, we found three kittens! And they had managed to unplug my headlights connection from the electrical system. Their mother, a stray we were familiar with, was calm as we picked up the kittens.

In the end, the mother, a black tiger stripped cat, and her white kitten with orange and black patches was taken in by the Old Bird, my next door neighbor. And when she passed away, her daughter took the mother cat and the grown patches cat to her home. Her children loved taking care of the pair of cats when they visited their grandmother once a week.

The black and white tuxedo kitten was taken by an upstairs neighbor, a Law Enforcement agent. He had a large white dog that was very friendly. The dog was very protective and comforting to the new kitten. A year later, the neighbor was reassigned to another city south. He moved with his dog and cat and fiance to their new home south.

The black kitten was taken in by the Vet and his wife. He is the most adventurous of the bunch. He likes climbing the big post oak tree in front of the building, chasing squirrels and birds. And unlike other cats, he likes the water! I've seen him enjoy a dip in the kids pool. I suspect he's got some Maine Coon genes in him. While other cats seek dry cover during the rain, he saunters in the drizzle as if it were a comforting experience. And true to form, when I got home, he was perched on my windowsill, just a foot away from the falling rain, perfectly at ease.

Though he is a very well cared for and beloved pet, Black Panther retains a lot of his stray qualities, preferring the outdoors and hanging out with other strays. Ever since he was old enough to be let out to explore, he became a regular fixture on my windowsill and porch. I've had to get another food bowl for him, since he often shows up when I feed the strays. He knows where to get a free meal! I know his owners spoil him and feed him well, but he seems to enjoy coming around my place for mealtime, and it makes me smile to see him join the other cats and play or sleep on my porch. He's a very friendly and curious cat. And I like seeing him relax and rest on my windowsill.


He knows he's welcomed anytime. Gorgeous, isn't he? I'll try to get closeups soon!


10 comments:

  1. Sporran would love to see more pictures of the House Panther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinahmow, I will try to get better pics of the elusive Black Panther! He is quite the character.

      Delete
  2. I had a black cat like that once. Smartest cat I've had the pleasure of knowing - he could open windows and fetch a small ball like a dog.
    I think your black panther has you well trained!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, He sure does know how to get a free meal from me! He is a fun cat. I like seeing him climb the tree and stake his claim as king of the parking lot!

      Delete
  3. Nice kitty. Each cat has an interesting backstory. So thank you for sharing these of the kitties in your orbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, I smile every time I see these cats. They make my day and I laugh at their antics. It's great to see them before I go to work, and it's such a stress reliever to see them when I come home. They make me feel calm and happy.

      Delete
  4. Your shopping list for storm/flood essentials is spot on! I hope you got plenty of cans of tuna for all your cats, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDV, I've cans of tuna, sardines, and salmon as special treats for the cats. But their main food is poultry flavored, to entice them to go after those birds who like to sit on the tree and poop on my car parked underneath!

      Delete
  5. He was probably wondering where in hell you were. He looks a lot like my all black cat Starrbooty I once had. I wonder where cats go in heavy rains? I hope you have been well....I am grossly behind in everything being gone so long. I enjoy myself too much, but now the great batch up begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Maddie! Black Panther has a sixth sense of when I'm going to show up. He makes an appearance because he knows I'll bring out the food!

      Black cats are stunning! I know when it rains really hard, my strays will climb the stairs and go up the second floor and rest there. It's nice and dry, and there's a small corner where they sleep undisturbed.

      Delete