Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Secret Lives of Cats and Dogs

It fascinates me to see people carrying their pets like babies or have them climb on the furniture or sleep on the bed. None of our critters ever shared our beds. Our cats had their own fave spots around the farmhouse. The dogs were always outside--big working dogs, sometimes sleeping on the porches or veranda. If the weather was bad, they sheltered in the barn or gazebo. But most times, they'd rather be outside on the porches and deck. They liked the wide open spaces. So did I.

The dogs followed us around as we did chores. And they regularly patrolled the grounds to watch over the farm and keep the wild predators from preying on the livestock. The cats kept the vermin from eating our stores. For the most part, the pets were well behaved and had a routine. They had a job, a duty they performed faithfully and outstandingly.

If we went for a stroll, a few pets would follow us, keeping us company until we returned to the farmhouse. When they weren't working, they'd lay in their favorite spots, sleeping by Mom or Dad. Some would play with us on the lawn or keep us company under the shade of the trees. It was wonderful growing up with pets--the dogs, the cats, the old horse, the donkey, the ducks, and the other critters who lived on the farm. There was a rhythm to life on the farm. It was familiar, comforting, and serene.

But some nights, for no rhyme or reason, our dogs would howl for a bit. It was always a mystery and an eerie experience for my two brothers and I to hear them start howling. They never seemed hurt or in distress, only focused on calling out to the other dogs who answered their calls from far away.

Mom and Dad would often say that the dogs were singing. About what? We had no idea. And in the dark, remote countryside, it was a mesmerizing, haunting sound that felt ancient and wild, untamed and powerful. They were singing of things we could not understand. They knew things that we didn't.

My elderly aunt used to say, "The dogs are greeting the old gods and spirits walking the earth." That always gave us chills that ran down our spines. She was always saying things like that. And it made us think she was a witch.

She had an uncanny ability to calm agitated animals. Of course, using herbs from her garden to make potions and concoctions to help heal the injured and sick, or just to help people relax only made her more mystical to us. To my brothers and me, she was all ready enchanting and magical, because she loved us and made us the most delicious treats.

From my family, we learned to care for animals. Not just our pets and any wild critters in need of assistance. Farm life meant caring for the livestock we raised. If one of our farm animals was sick or injured, we would be out in the barn, sleeping nearby as we took turns watching and caring for the injured or ill animal, nursing it back to health.

On long sweltering summer nights, my two brothers and I would sleep on the deck under the stars. Then the dogs would lay by us. Some nights, we'd have friends over, almost like camping, telling stories, swapping jokes, gossiping, or just mesmerized by the ethereal beauty of the innumerable stars, sparkling like diamonds against a velvet sky.

On one such night, we were surprised to see our cats leave the house and vanish into the shadows. They moved with a purpose, as if on some important secret mission to another world that was beyond our awareness. Curious, we took turns keeping a lookout. And before the roosters started crowing before dawn, I woke my brothers up to let them see the cats all returning to the house. We always wondered where they went and spent countless hours imagining and speculating on what adventures or secret lives they had.

It's true. Our pets have secrets and instincts that we'll never understand. There are parts of their lives that will always be a mystery to us. And that's okay. Because we love them anyway, for they keep us company and love us in return. We don't know a lot about the universe, and life is a miracle and mystery that we'll never understand. But we do know love, and love is all we need. And in the end, that's all that matters, that we love one another. And with love, we bring out the best in each other and make life special and our world more wonderful.

Related Links:
A sailor in the fields, a treasure in the trees
The Boys of Summer
Brothers and Sisters
Tradition
A good jacket keeps you warm
Hope is a yellow dump truck
Shoes
Holiday Dismay
Are you there, Santa? It's me
It's the Most Stressful Time of the Year
Finding the way
The thing about fathers
Veterans Day Reflection
Best Laid Plans
That offal taste
The Fisherman & the Lucky Cat
The Spirit of the Day
Pie
Market Days
Deserts
Lilacs, Butterflies, and Sheet Cakes
Sunday is Fried Chicken Day
The Secret Lives of Cats and Dogs

12 comments:

  1. My Buster Bolfig Borghese definelty has a secret life, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandfather always said the dogs see something or realise / feel something when they start to howl for no obvious reason. My father (who trained dogs) never said something like this but was always very alert when the dog gave a sound. And no, they did not come into the house.

    In British television some years ago was something about the night life of cats in a village. It was remarkable brutal as I remember. They made two features, one was in a village, one in a suburb (if I remember correctly) ; but I am sure the second followed more cats than the first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother always said that howling dogs were mourning something.

      Delete
    2. Mago, I was fascinated to learn that dogs hear and smell beyond the scope of humans. Their super senses make them great guards, trackers, and hunters. Our dogs back on the farm were really good at spotting predators hiding in the brush--excellent at chasing them away. Once, they joined my father and neighbors and hunted down some wild boars that invaded and tore up the fields. Those boars were huge, destructive, dangerous, and delicious, once they were caught and BBQed!

      I love documentaries and wildlife films about cats! They're so secretive!

      Delete
    3. LX, My elderly aunt used to tell us that dogs howl to greet the spirits walking the earth, and that was includes the dearly departed on their way to the next world. I'm not sure if she was telling us lore or scaring us into staying indoors and not wander out the house at night. Either way, when the dogs howled at night, we made for home and stayed indoors!

      Delete
  3. Dogs love to join in, be part of the gang, part of the play, part of the hunt, part of the sleepover.
    Dogs thrive WITH you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, So true! Dogs are team players, they are pack animals. And I love their company and loyalty.

      Our cats, however, are sometimes with us or out on their own, doing who knows what! Probably making cat videos for the internet or running small countries...

      Delete
  4. Sid sleeps on the bed, but he is a Russell Terrier and they thrive on being social and being close to their family members. He is sprawled on my lap right now. Other dogs I've had have enjoyed their own space... Sid is the first dog I've allowed on the bed.
    I always wondered what my cats got up to... as you say, they always looked like they were off to do something important!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, I get small dogs in the bed. Some were bred for that, to keep the bed warm and provide comfort and company. I'm just really particular. I leave my shoes by the door. So any critter (human or animal) has to be clean before getting on my bed...

      Cats are so intriguing! I would love to follow them and find out just where they are strutting off to and just what it is they are up to when no one's around. I would not be surprised if they were running fortune 500 companies!

      Delete
  5. Growing up, our dogs were not allowed inside. The cats were allowed to stay inside if they wanted.

    My own cats are not allowed outside due to the coyotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, No one in our area ever had dogs indoors...probably because the weather was never really cold. The first time that I saw dogs inside the house was the summer I visited my cousins in San Francisco. I was like, "Whoa! Aren't y'all gonna get in trouble for letting the dogs in?" And my cousins just laughed and said, "You in the city now, cuz. Ain't no backyards big enough to leave your dog in."

      Cats usually do whatever they want to do. I think country and farm cats are tougher and wilier than their city/suburban counterparts. Only because there are more predators to look out for. Still city/suburb cats are survivors, if they need to be. But yeah, those coyotes are stealthy! And bold!

      Delete