Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Every day

Every day that I wake up, I am thankful to be alive. I am fortunate to have an opportunity to live and do the things that make me happy. I am grateful for the chance to spend time with the people that I love. I choose to look at the positive and focus on what I can do to make today a wonderful day.

I tell myself: Now is the perfect time to try new things! Hiking, photography, art, pottery, knitting, exploring the local scene and seeing things from the perspective of a tourist! Run, walk, swim, garden! Sing, dance, cook, laugh!

A few years ago, I was huffing and puffing after four hours of steady hiking up a steep mountain. I had to stop and take frequent breaks. I nearly gave up a few times, ready to quit and go back down. But up ahead, I could see this tiny figure still climbing steadily, and that motivated me to keep going.

Near the summit, I was ready to collapse from sheer exhaustion. I was down on my hands and knees, ready to roll over and let the squirrels devour me. But I could see the end! Just two hundred feet away. So I mustered up what scant energy I had and staggered to the pinnacle.

Boy was it a great feeling to finally reach the top! What magnificent and stunning views! What glorious heights to behold the splendor of the vast forests and the glimmering silver of the winding river below. What resplendent colors and intriguing forms were naturally carved in the multicolored, enigmatic shaped desert landscape just beyond the mountain range. And Oh, What a spectacular vista of the jagged peaks that reached high into the dynamic skies!

But I was more blown away to discover that the tiny figure that I had been following was a 78 year old lady! Even more impressive, she took up hiking just five years ago, after recovering from a stroke that left her unable stand and no strength/control on her right side. But after a year of therapy and hard work (and lots of tears), she left the hospital better than ever.

She said ever since then, she lives each day as if it were her last. Time flies and life is too short. Every day you're alive is a chance to do something fun and new and amazing.

I took those words to heart, and I've tried to follow that old lady's advice. It was a reaffirmation of the lifestyle I try to live: Live fully and love freely!

Naturally, the old lady left the peak before I did. She was most likely halfway down the mountains before I even started my return to camp. But I welcomed the solitude and lost myself in the beauty and wonders of the world around me. I was very glad that I had forced myself to keep climbing, to never give up. I was very happy to gaze upon such astounding sights and have such an incredible experience.

Take every day you're alive as an opportunity to do the things that make you happy and have fun exploring! Every day is a gift to spend time with the people you cherish, and every day is an opportunity for adventure, to try something new, to follow your instincts, and to find happiness and share joy with those you love.

12 comments:

  1. You are a lovely chap, Mr Swings, but I feel if I lived every day as if it were my last then I'm pretty sure my days would be numbered!
    I do understand and embrace the sentiment though.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, Some days, I wake up, look at the clock, then roll over and go back to sleep. Those are days off that I've earned the right to enjoy sleeping in! Best enjoyed after hard work the day before! Rest and Relaxation days are essential to recuperate and gather energy for the next fun adventure! And it's nice to just sit back and relax, to enjoy the serenity and joy of doing absolutely nothing!

      Delete
  2. The lesson from this post! .?

    There are lessons in everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, The Universe speaks and advises us wisely. We only have to listen and look around to find the right path in life's journey.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this! There are days when I think that it's too late to change my ways and what does it matter anyway. But, this, this is a reminder that the day that it's too late to change, is the day that you're dead, literally! Until then, there's always hope and the ability to just do it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, You're welcome! And it's so true. So long as you're alive, you have the chance to make the changes you want and try the things that you are curious about.

      Whenever I feel down or discouraged, it helps me to remember that I'm still here, that I can still stand and walk on my own, that I still have control on where I go, and that the only person who can determine what I can do next or what path to take is me! It's my life, so I need to make the choices and determine my direction, because in the end, I have to live with the consequences of those choices. So I remind myself to live fully and love fully. Life is for the living! And every day that I am alive is an opportunity to make life better for me and the people I love!

      Delete
  4. Excellent attitude! I need to take that more to heart. My brain knows it; my actions don't follow up. I need to get out, enjoy nature, get some exercise. I spend way too much time on this infernal electronic contraption and less looking after my physical and psychological self. Thanks for the reminder, Eros! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ponita, You're welcome! I have to remind myself from time to time to stop, take a deep breath, and then go for a walk, and to enjoy life and loved ones while I still have the chance.

      Delete
  5. Great ideas. I would hope for most these are reminders of ideas they have already been told. Most often the idea is there but the action is delayed to the point of disappearing. I have relaxed over the years and noticing the simple pleasures helps so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, Welcome! And you're totally right. These are ideas that we've been exposed to and heard most of our lives, to the point where they are almost clichés. But they are pearls of wisdom, treasures found only after years of toil and the passage of time. It's amazing what we rediscover when we take the time to pay attention and listen.

      Simple things are wonderful! I love having some time to enjoy the wildlife and beauty of the nearby park or just walking on the beach with the soft sand beneath my toes and the cool waves washing over my feet when they come to shore. A leisurely stroll can be a most pleasing activity, especially when you notice all the neat things (man made and natural) that add interest and beauty to the neighborhood.

      Delete
  6. A great post and good advice for all. I last summer was in the Pocono's and did a steep Mountain trail like which you speak. I didn't know either if I'd make it, but the feeling you describe is the pay off.

    It also happened to be a clothing optional campground, so I also said what the hell and got naked for a few hours. So there was that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, Congratulations on making it to the top! It is an extraordinary feeling of accomplishment and such a wonderful reward with the spectacular views!

      And kudos to going native. It is an adventure! When in Rome (or a nudist camp), do as the Romans (or nudists) do! It's perfectly natural (and liberating) to be au naturel in nature! Mind the sunburn on the sensitive parts!

      Delete