Thursday, May 31, 2018

Drive

I have just returned home after spending a few days housesitting for a friend who lives in the next small town over. I didn't mind. So my drive to work was ten minutes longer. But it was from another direction, and the views were worth it.

I love driving alongside the beach and in the wild spaces just outside the city. I delight in the sight of the sparkling sea, the gentle surf washing up on the tan sands; the sky light blue, white fluffy clouds gliding overhead. And in the cool mornings, I roll down the windows and let the breeze blow in, caressing my face, making me smile as I hear the waves break hypnotically on the shore.

The scenery is spectacular. So much wildlife--birds of many sizes and colors singing, flying, and perched in many branches; foxes and coyotes darting to and fro in the shadows, a few bold ones sit and pose regally in the sun; deer grazing, jumping, or just standing still. And so many colors and vibrant blossoms and lush trees. Resplendent wildflowers dot and color the landscape, and forests of trees add shade and shelter and nurture life in the woods.

That wonderful and charming drive puts me in a relaxed, serene state of mind. And that means I'm quieter, more contemplative, and introspective at work. It also means that I move at a slower, less urgent pace. It means that I get out later but I'm okay with that. It is a totally different frame of mind, like I'm a different person.

With my usual route, I leave early to drive through three traffic lights and a stop sign on the busy roads. The city is alive with people walking, on their phones talking, or in the streets and sidewalks working, selling, or waiting, pacing impatiently, wanting to get to the other side or to wherever they need to be. Thank goodness school is out, so I don't have to factor slowing down to a crawl near the middle school down the street.

There are road crews digging, laying pipes, and repairing potholes that seem to appear every time it rains. Construction is thriving as new buildings are being built over previously empty and abandoned lots. Great for redevelopment and eliminating urban blight. Sad, because I miss the wildflowers and grove of trees that for years, bloomed and thrived in the empty lot next to my place. Now, my small piece of wild nature is being paved over and turned into a shopping center.

With my usual route, I arrive at work early. I enjoy the drive, because I listen to pop, dance, upbeat music that I can sing and dance to, putting me in a good mood. I'm excited, fired up, and have high energy the whole day. I'm dynamic, fast, and get things done quickly so I can go home early.

Two different drives, two different perspectives, two different frames of mind. What a difference a drive makes.

10 comments:

  1. Drive time! It's surprising how different getting behind the wheel is when it's not a daily obligation. I've had to use Uber while our car is in the shop, so drivetime has been as a passenger and always the quickest route, giving me another perspective on scenery. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savannah, It is nice to enjoy the ride as a passenger and not have to drive as an obligation. If it weren't for the high gas prices now, I'd be doing more cruising to explore new areas! The best hidden gems are often found by chance and adventure.

      I hope your car gets fixed soon and all is well. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. If I did the beach drive there would be a chance I'd never get to work - how tempting it would be to park up and go for a paddle.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarlet, Stopping for the sights is one of the best things about driving. But yes, twice on my days off, I drove into town but stopped to enjoy the sight and sounds of the beautiful seashore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good drive! However, I'd prefer not to have too distracting scenery so as I don't crash while gawking at something. I'm used to my drive to work now - not too many distractions - however, the peafowl at Alby are out and about as I drive past at this time of year and they are a terrible distraction! I keep looking for the male with his tail up and fanned out. And the other day, he must have been right next to Car as I passed because his extremely loud 'meow'-like call almost made me jump out of my skin and drive headlong into a field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDV, I've had to stop a few times just to take in the views, especially on cool mornings, the sun behind clouds but still sending rays of light that shimmer across the waters. But yeah, you want to enjoy the vibes of the scene, not get distracted by something intriguing...

      Those peafowls sound fantastic! I'd be late to work for stopping to take fotos and see them in action. It's a good thing you kept your cool and stayed on the road when that cheeky male catcalled you!

      Delete
  5. Nice description of the beautiful coastal area. Now I need a road trip for some coconut shrimp in Port A!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, It is a beautiful coastline, esp. the undeveloped parts where the chaparral and old forests still grow, and the sea and shore are left in their natural, wild state. It's a whole different world from the crowded city. People in the small beach towns are very laid back and friendly, which I love.

      The scrumptious seafood is definitely another treasure to enjoy on the coast!

      Delete
  6. I moved long ago from any big city environ.....and have lived in Provincetown for close to 20 years now. It is down right nuts and entertaining in the summer to mid autumn....but the rest of the year is just heavenly, being right on the water and seeing all the locals and sunsets. A harsh winter in worth it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearly Gates, Welcome! Provincetown sounds fantastic! Tourist season is always chaotic and fun to see the outsiders come and make fools of themselves as they enjoy the water. They make me smile as I realize I am taking for granted something they don't experience daily. I grew up in a small, remote coastal town. Couldn't wait to leave and head for the big city and see the world. And I did just that. And it's been fun and exciting living in big cities and seeing the world.

      But funny, now after all these years, I miss that remote, rural coastal life. It's ironic how the very same laid back, slow lifestyle that I couldn't wait to escape now is very appealing to me! I still love the urban lifestyle, but if I ended up in another small, remote coastal town, I'll be perfectly fine with it!

      Delete