Thursday, June 14, 2018

Small Change

This morning, I went out to pick up some items from one of my favorite shopping spots: The Dollar Tree, where everything's a dollar (except for greeting cards, which are 50¢ a piece). I like shopping at the Dollar Tree, because cleaning products are inexpensive, and I can find party supplies and fun items for only a buck.

Some of the best fun party items can be found at the Dollar Tree: Glow sticks and glow bands/necklaces, bubbles, flower leis and Tiki torches for luaus, and plenty of festive decorations and colorful, thematic disposable plates and cups that makes serving and clean up a breeze at cookouts and parties. Just throw away the party plates and cups--no need to wash dishes! Just take out the trash.

Sales tax on nonfood items comes to 8.25%. Food items (including bags of candies, large bag of potato chips, packets of popcorn, and packages of cookies) are nontaxed, so they each cost a dollar. That's another reason why I like the Dollar Tree. The snacks are good and cheap. Lots of big brands sell their wares at the Dollar Tree.

I needed some storage containers and cleaning products, so I went to the Dollar Tree. The first one didn't have the large size containers that I was looking for. At least not anymore. That's one of the down sides of shopping at the Dollar Tree. There's really no set merchandise. Sometimes, they sell overstock items. And once they sell out of that item, there's no restocking or more items coming in. So if you find something that you like, then buy a lot of it, because they're going to run out. And that's exactly what happened.

Three days ago, I bought two large storage containers--airtight, food grade plastic, freezable, solid. I thought about buying more, but I didn't. And now when I needed three more containers, the store has sold out.

Thankfully, there was another store just three more miles down the road. It was busy with morning shoppers, and there was only one cashier. He was doing an excellent job amidst the hustle and bustle.

I found the three containers I needed and picked up three more extra items. Then I stood in the line and waited my turn as the cashier rang up purchases and assisted customers who came up to ask him questions. I don't know where the other workers were, but the cashier kept cool, was courteous, and even took the time to go in the back room to get an item a customer couldn't find on the shelves.

I've shopped enough at the Dollar Tree to know that if I buy three non food items, I pay $3.25 with tax. I had picked up six items, so I knew that I would pay $6.50.

Except when it was my turn, I was charged $5.41. That's a whole $1.09 difference. I had $7 in hand--a $5 bill and two $1, anticipating that I was going to pay $6.50. So being undercharged threw me off for a second.

Then I realized that the cashier had miscounted the containers. I had taken off their lids and stacked them to save space in the cart. But they were stacked tight, so it looked like two containers instead of three.

The cashier was waiting for me to hand over the money. No doubt he had other tasks that needed to be done as soon as he was done ringing up my purchases. I was the last person in line. And I suppose I could've just handed over $6 and be done with it.

But that's not how I roll. So I told the cashier that I had picked up three containers. He looked stumped for a second. Then he did a quick, more detailed examination of the stacked containers and said, "You're right. There are three containers."

He sounded surprised. He scanned one more container and charged me $6.50. He carefully packed my items and gave me ¢50 change from the $7 that I handed over. Then he thanked me and wished me a good day. I returned the well wishes and left the store to drive back home.

Before I exited the store, an elderly couple I hadn't noticed before spoke to me. They were standing by the front display, having observed what happened. The old lady said, "That was very honest of you."

I was surprised by her comment and answered, "I just paid what I owed."

"That you did," said the elderly man. Then they just nodded and smiled as I left.

I suppose I could've just kept quiet and underpaid for the items. It was only a dollar and nine cents difference in my favor. And I suppose the store could afford to lose the small change in the big picture.

But that's not me. And maybe I'm just being silly or self-indulgent. But over they years, I've learned to go with my instincts and follow my own code. I'm much happier when I do, and things are better for me when I listen to my gut. Yes, I know. It's just a buck and some change. But my character and self respect sure costs a whole lot more than $1.09. It may be small change, but it makes a big difference.

12 comments:

  1. It does make a big difference! And it's also a sign of good upbringing.

    This sales tax - is it something you have to pay everywhere in the US? Do you have to factor it in with every purchase? It sounds a bit like the UK's VAT (value added tax), but that's included in almost all prices, so in our Pound Shops (£) something priced at £1 is sold for £1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDV, Thank you. My mother would be proud to know that the lazy bum she raised knows right from wrong. Still a lazy bum, but a lazy bum with morals. I have exceeded my family's expectations.

      Every state has their own version of taxes, and most tack the sales tax on the item price when they ring you up at the register. So most times, you do have to factor it in. Some states like Delaware, New Hampshire, Oregon, and Montana have no sales tax. They get their state revenues from other taxes, like property or income. Alaska has no state sales tax, but it allows its municipalities to set a tiny retail tax.

      In Texas, we have a state sales tax of 6.25%. Each municipality is allowed a max of 2% to add on to the state sales tax. So where I live, it's 8.25%. The trade off for having a sales tax is that there is no state income tax. Every state taxes whatever way benefits their way of governing.

      The nice thing about Texas is that food items bought in a store (still in a package and not a restaurant/food truck setting) is tax free! So 3 frozen burritos for $1 still comes out to a $1. That also means 2 hot dogs and a large Irish Cream or French Vanilla cappuccino from a gas station costs $2 as advertised, no taxes! The breakfast of champions and people late for work!

      Delete
  2. You're a good man, sugar! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Thank You, Savannah. I try to be a good man. I don't always succeed, but I still try anyway.

      Delete
  3. The last time that happened to me, the cashier gave me attitude. I don't get it. They are only hurting themselves. Are they angry one pointed out they made a mistake???

    I agree about their party items. They have a good selection. When I go to the Woods campground for their Illumination Weekend, I go there for all my glow sticks and necklaces...among other items…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maddie, You would think that cashier would be grateful that you helped to correct her register and not come up short at the end of the day. Some people just can't see beyond their own egos. They're the ones who get dropped and then wonder, "What happened?"

      Illumination Weekend sounds FUNtastic! Glow sticks and bubbles make for festive party gear and atmosphere. Even nice small gifts to small children. Kids love glow sticks and bubbles. And so do adults!

      Delete
    2. And when bored, I thought I was the only one to hold the wand in front of a fan and set up the room like a night of Lawrence Welk.

      Delete
    3. It's terrific to see the fan blow dozens of bubbles up in the room. Makes for a spectacular, fun sight! At parties, it's awesome to see people go gaga and try to pop all the bubbles. The drunks are the most hilarious, especially when they're slow and uncoordinated and keep missing the bubbles!

      Delete
  4. Good on you, Eros! Honesty is becoming all too rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ponita. I just felt like it was the right thing to do. It would've bugged me to not have spoken up. Plus, the cashier was courteous and helpful and very nice to the customers. I didn't want him to get into trouble over small change.

      Delete
  5. I have a strong vision of you being a party animal. I shall await my invite.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, You always have an open invitation to come hangout and party! Your presence would add class and style to turn any gathering into an event!

      I've got music, glow sticks, and bubbles on hand, ready to turn any feast into a fiesta or a cookout into a carnival!

      Delete