Monday, January 8, 2018

The Sound of Music: 3. The Classics - Ebullient

It's the New Year, time for new beginnings and second chances. Time to set new goals and make plans for where we want to be or what we want to accomplish. Planning and setting up goals is easy. It's the execution and actual doing that is much harder. It's often more difficult to put into practice what we plan or preach. Sometimes, we need to reevaluate and make changes.

I usually don't make New Year's resolutions. It's not that I don't believe in them or think them silly or a waste of time. On the contrary, I think that having goals to aim for is a good thing. It's nice to have goals and a plan, because it gives us direction and a purpose. The reason I don't have or make any New Year's resolutions is because my resolutions have been the same for many years now. It can be summarized as follows, my life's philosophy: Live every day as if it were your last; live life fully and love freely; do the things that make you happy; cherish your friends and loved ones; be a better person; be the best me that I can be.

It's a simple yet grand plan. And there are times when I struggle to stay true to the spirit and aim of the plan. Sometimes I need help to stay focused and stay strong, some aid to overcome the unexpected challenges in my way. I need a little boost every now and then. And music has the extraordinary power to inspire and energize and empower. Good music encourages me to never give up and keep going until I complete my task, succeed in my mission, and achieve my goals and objectives.

One of the most surprising and pleasant things about Classical music is the variety. I'll admit that when I think of the Classics, I usually think of grand waltzes, magnificent symphonies, and majestic orchestra pieces. Sometimes, I feel as if I ought to be dressed up to the nines--tuxedo, top hat, patented leather shoes--when I listen to these elegant waltzes or exquisite symphonies. I confess, most classical music seems very refined or subdued; a lot may even appear unrelatable. Yet a second, closer look yields surprising discoveries. And among those finds are the wonderful classical sounds that are exciting and inspirational, often full of energy and enthusiasm.

I've put together these pieces in a collection I call Ebullient, because they are dynamic and stirring works of art. They embolden and enliven. And also, I've just recently learned of this intriguing word "ebullient", which means enthusiastic, excited, high spirited, and zippy. I like learning new words; new words get me ebullient, zesty and energetic, like the classics in this collection. These are the classic songs that I find striking and rousing.

There are times in our journey when we may find our road blocked, and we need a little help to overcome the obstacles. Whether it's trekking up a steep mountain or cleaning out the fridge, a little boost gives us that much needed push to stay strong and keep fighting, to find a way. And whatever tasks and goals we've set for ourselves for this New Year, the right motivation helps us stay focused and keep moving when times get tough. Sometimes, a little extra push is all we need to get over the hurdles in our way. And good music is a fantastic motivator to galvanize us to take action and keep going.

I'm still experimenting with loading music on the site. If the music clip won't load or play, then click on the artist name to open or download the song. I would be grateful for any feedback, whether there is a problem so I can fix it, or if the music plays fine, so I know that all is well. All that information is very helpful in helping me improve this site.

And as always, I would love to hear your thoughts on these selections, and I appreciate your own advice and opinions of other pieces that you enjoy and find invigorating. Thank you.

Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30: Introduction



I know, right? The theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). I didn't realize this was a very old classical piece. I thought it was a modern creation because of the unique and thrilling and dynamic sound and tempo. But it's not. It's a tone poem--a symphonic story--created by Richard Strauss in 1896. And it's a fantastic and exciting work of art that transcends history, appealing across the ages to all peoples, stirring up emotions and energy.

There are times in life when I get really competitive and play hard to win. It brings out the vicious and brutish, predatory side of me. Very useful in sporting events and competition, but not so much in social situations and diplomatic events. I usually keep my competitive nature in check. Because if I let myself go and let out my competitive beast side, I can get downright ruthless and ferocious. I become merciless and unforgiving. It's why I mostly avoid contests in social gatherings. Because when I am spurred on by action, I become super focused on winning and destroying the competition.

Even when playing friendly games, I have to control the powerful urge to hoot, holler, and thump my chest in victory, like the ape men from Space Odyssey, especially after vanquishing my enemies in a highly contested game of gin rummy, charades, or Scrabble. As much fun as it would be to act all crazy and show off every time I win, it's not very civilized nor is it a welcoming sight. Nobody likes a showoff or a braggart. No one likes to be reminded that they lost.

Competition brings out the ugly side of me, making me a terrible loser and even worse winner. One of the very few instances outside of sporting and gaming events that my competitive drive was a useful asset is when I was a part of a dance crew, and we had to battle other crews for supremacy. That competitive instinct brought out the best in me and made me take risks and bold action that won the day and made us champions and the best crew around.



Richard Wagner: Die Walkürie (The Valkyrie), Act 3: Ride of the Valkyries



Love it! If there was ever a need for a battle song, a war song to summon the armies and march down to annihilate an enemy, this is that song! And they used it quite effectively in the movie Apocalypse Now (1979) When faced with a seemingly impossible and monumental challenge, the Ride of the Valkyries calls forth the courage, the will, and the drive to fight on, to keep going, to never give up. Find that inner strength and power through! Lay waste to all those who dare oppose you and obliterate all those who stand in your way!

I've successfully tackled many difficult household chores with this tune motivating me to keep going and get the job done and done right. This song is a declaration of war upon grease stains in the oven and grime in between the tiles. When faced with the dirty and filthy opposition, I take no prisoners, show no mercy, and obliterate the filth from my presence and eliminate them from the premises.

On a related note, I first became aware of this song from the classic Bugs Bunny cartoon What's Opera, Doc? (1957). Elmer Fudd was the Viking demigod Siegfried and Bugs was the Valkyrie Brünnhilde! It was a hilariously entertaining show, and it was an awesome introduction to classical music. I was six years old, and my two brothers and I loved the music and action from the cartoon. To this day, I still think of that Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd movie short special and smile every time I hear this song. Cartoons are a splendid and powerful way to introduce children (and adults) to great ideas and amazing art.





Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, "Fate": Allegro con brio



What a spectacular, ominous, and thrilling opening! It is an unforgettable sound. Fate is dynamic, alarming, and grabs your attention. It fills you with urgency and keeps you on edge, focused, and sharp.



Antonio Vivaldi: Le quattro stagioni (The Four Seasons), Op. 8 - Concerto No. 2 in G Minor, RV 315, "L'estate" (Summer): III. Presto



Vivaldi's Summer is such a vivacious and alluringly vicious work of art! Very primeval! It brings out the hunter, the predator, the conqueror in me, and I love it!



Jeremiah Clarke: The Prince of Denmark's March



The Prince of Denmark's March is a truly grand, heralding number that is so full of exuberance and majesty. It sounds so fancy and refined and invigorating at the same time. It is very regal and assertive.



Edvard Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite No. 1, Op. 46: In the Hall of the Mountain King



The rousing Hall of the Mountain King starts off as gently falling rain that swiftly turns into a fierce, violent thunderstorm. I remember this song from the Smurfs cartoon. It played every time the Smurfs were in danger. Beware! Be alert! It was a perfect fit, because the song is like a warning, hinting at danger, stirring up excitement.



Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Sonata No. 11 in A Major, K. 331: Rondo: Alla turca



Alla Turca is a surprisingly upbeat and passionate piece. It is a cool breeze, a shady cloud, a refreshing drink of cold water in the harsh, blazing desert. It replenishes and revitalizes our energies and our minds.



George Frideric Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks, HWV 351: III. La réjouissance



Definitely living up to its name as Music for the Royal Fireworks, this song is lively and brash and majestic. I can picture fireworks going off to this song. And everyone loves fireworks, because they're fun, fantastic, spectacular, and thrilling to look at. And this song is a celebratory and victorious work of art, a jubilant praise of the triumph.

And there it is, the collection of high spirited, bold, and rousing classical music. They are but a small example of the variety, diversity, and range of classical music. These songs are Classics because they stand the test of time, and they are timelessly engaging and spectacular works of art and creativity.

I hope you enjoy these songs and share them with friends and loved ones. I would very much like to learn from you any other classics that fill you with ebullience, enthusiasm and energy, and share with me your thoughts and opinions about the songs that I've featured here. Happy New Year and Cheers!

Related Links
The Sound of Music 1: The Classics - Ephemeral
The Sound of Music 2: The Classics - Ethereal
The Sound of Music: Classics - The Nutcracker
The Sound of Music: Holidays Classics Vol 1
The Sound of Music: Holidays Classics Vol 2
The Sound of Music: Classics - Swan Lake
The Sound of Music: Classics - Requiem
The Sound of Music: Classics - Opera Part 1

8 comments:

  1. Excellent selections.

    Perhaps you might enjoy Der Königgrätzer Marsch (by Johann Gottfried Piefke) as performed at the 2011 Berlin Tattoo. The audience went wild over this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LX, Thank you for that awesome recommendation of Johann Gottfried Piefke's Der Königgrätzer Marsch! Great vid! And I love the energy and dynamics of the piece! I would love to see that in real life.

      Delete
  2. I see and hear you don't plan to have a very dramatic year huh? You got some real goodies in there. That is probably my favorite Vivaldi piece. I myself am pretty much a huge Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi and Dvorak whore. And I had totally forgot about the In the Hall of the Mountain King with the smurfs. Many of my friends will tell you it's probably the music that plays when I'm moving in on a man of prey.

    *evilly rubs hands and wipes whiskers, licks chops*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.... and one of my favorite is Tchaikovsky's - Waltz of the Flowers. How I'd love to donne a huge ball gown and waltz to it at Night of a Thousand Gowns.


      Delete
    2. Maddie, We share some of the same faves! Luv the Nutcracker and Vivaldi's Four Seasons! Night of a Thousand Gowns sounds fantastic and fabulous!

      I see that you're a hunter with that Grieg's Mountain King number. Hopefully, you'll do better than Elmer Fudd and not run into any pesky rabbits!

      Delete
    3. The ones that are prepared properly are usually very tasty!

      Delete
  3. I often think about living each day as if it were my last... but in truth, if I did the I would be both penniless and arrested for doing something illegal. It's a nice idea though... perhaps I shouldn't take it so literally?
    I like your music choices... and if I ever need to pick a team I'd like you on my side!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet, That whole living life fully idea is just a reminder to me to not take every day for granted, to think about what's important, and it guides me when I feel lost or unsure of what to do next.

      To paraphrase Mark Twain, It's the things you don't do that you regret later on in life. And as I get older and seem to lose more people to time and other factors, I realize it's true. So I remind myself everyday that if I had to chose, what would make life good today? What would make me happy?

      Delete